Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cuenca

Last weekend was fantastic! Josh and I visited the quaint, colonial, old fashioned city of Cuenca. It had cobblestone streets and pretty squares and churches. It was a very walkable and safe feeling city which is a nice change from Quito. It is the 3rd largest city in Ecuador with a population of about 400,000. We took a 10 hour overnight bus which, thankfuly, I spelt almost all the way through. We arrived around 7am after a bit of a scare that we got off at the wrong city! We found an adorable hostel with a kind of courtyard cafe in the middle - real brewed coffee, not Nescafe! It was perfectly located to walk to see everything, which we did after getting settled. We visited a factory where they make panama hats, which actually originated in Ecuador. They are still all handmade, which takes 15 days-1 month depending on the quality and shape and style. I tried on a few, and even though I usually think I look awful in hats, I found a gorgeous, red-banded, Audrey Hepburn-esque one I couldn´t resist. We ate a great lunch at a Colombian restaurant and then very unsuccessdully tried to find an orchid garden. After 1 hour + on the bus and walking we gave up and went to a museum instead. They had an ethnographic exhibit, including shrunken heads, which used to be made by the Shaur people in the Amazon region oftheir enemies heads. The heads are shrunken down to about the size of a mans fist. Strange to see! For dinner we went to a beautiful, 2 story restaurant with twinkle lights all around and a fireplace. The food was so good! Me: chicken mole and Josh: coconut curry. I miss ethnic food tons!!

Saturday we had scrumptious omelets before heading out to hike in Parque Nacional Cajas. We took a cab to where Lonely Planet indicated we could catch a cheaper cus. It seemed like kind of a random corner so I started praying we wouldn´t have a repeat orchid garden experience. Well, God answers prayers! A green bus came around the corner, the one we thought we needed, so I waved to the driver to stop but he shook his head like he wouldn´t! I took off running after the bus with Josh behind me. Finally, halfway down the block it stopped and I asked if it was going to the park. No, the driver said but if we got on he would take us to where we could get the right bus. He took us to a bus depot where the right bus left in 10 mins. Plus, he didn´t even want the $1 we offered him for his help. Our guardian angel!! The hike in the park was beautiful and quite remote. I am growing in my adventureousness, that is for sure!

Saturday night we went out to a salsateca, club with salsa dancing, to test out our skills from our lessons at school. We were quite a bit out of our league but it was amazing to watch the really good couples and try to imitate them.

Sunday we relaxed before heading to the airport for our gloriously short 35 minute flight back to Quito. Totally worth the extra $50 more than a 10 hour bus!

Now I am all updated on my blogging! I love hearing how everyone is at home so let me know how you are! I miss you all! All my love!

1 comment: